Working out on the treadmill or the elliptical is common to everyone’s exercise routine and while many people love it, there are people who find working on their best treadmill or elliptical boring. However, there are ways by which you can make these exercise sessions interesting and less-boring. No…It is not that you always have to listen to music…you possibly have tried that already! Here are few more tricks for making the sessions interesting.
- Think about your treadmill performance: Though this might sound weird, but this actually helps. Think about your neck reaching the ceiling as this would make your posture correct. Think about pulling your shoulder blades down and swing your elbows back to front by keeping them at 90 degree angle. Keep your hips, ankles and knees centred and avoid taking tiny steps.
- Use the buttons: Running at the same incline and speed would definitely bore you within days. You can go for 1-minute interval to break the boredom that includes running and walking in alternate. This would help to stay fit and also burn fat.
- Increase the incline: Want to walk and reap the same benefits as running on the treadmill? You simply need to increase the incline. Walking slowly at the highest incline and running on the same slope with a 1-minute interval in between is enough. Repeat this 3 – 6 times and then move on to something else.
- Watch your favourite TV show: Plan your work out timing around your favourite show on TV. You would definitely love to watch the show and work out.
- Set a goal: Set a goal for your work out session before hitting the start button. Begin by asking yourself what you want to achieve for the day. Monitor your own exertion in a scale of 0 – 10 where 0 is like a leisurely stroll and 10 is when you are completely worked out.
- Do not slouch: It is quite common for people to lean forward while working on proform elliptical as there are handrails and they feel that their legs are doing all the required work. However, this would make your work out easier and so it is better if you stay upright and do not hunch over. This would prevent muscular pain and low back pain as well.
- Make use of the handles for a complete work out session: In an elliptical, the power is shared between the upper and lower body. Maintain an upright posture while pulling and pushing the levers so that the abs are engaged. Or you can work out without holding the handles at all.
- Do not repeat the routine: Repeating the same routine day after day might seem to be effective in the beginning but leads to fitness plateau. Brining in changes every week or every few week is important and this would also prevent the boredom.
The above given tips will surely help you to make your workout session effective as well as interesting.