Benefits of Wood Chops:
This is a great upper and lower body workout that can be used for cardio and strength work.
Performed regularly the rotational lift builds a connection between the upper and lower body which in turn creates a strong core.
Muscle Groups Worked:
Latissimus dorsi, rectus abdominis, obliques, quadriceps, gluteus maximus, hip abductors, hip adductors, deltoids, pectoralis major.
Wood Chops Variation
This can be performed holding a dumbbell or a medicine ball in your hands but always start with a smaller weight and work your way up.
Make sure that you have a good grip on the dumbbell/medicine ball so it doesn’t fly off and damage you, somebody else or your surrounding area.
Step by Step Guide:
- Stand with your feet hip width apart
- Hold your hands just to the outside of your left ankle as in a squat position and engage your core
- In one movement pull your arms past your right shoulder as your torso rotates to the right
- Return to the starting position
- Complete the required number of reps on one side then do the same amount of reps on the other side starting on your outside right ankle and rotating your torso to your left