How To Do A Crunch Exercise
Learn How To Do A Crunch Exercise With These Simple Steps
Are you struggling with your crunch exercise? Follow these simple steps to learn the most effective way of how to do a crunch exercise and start feeling the benefits of the ranges of crunch exercises such as a bicycle crunch and kick down crunches.
Benefits of the Crunch Exercise
Crunches are a great exercise for building strong abdominal muscles.
They can be performed anywhere with no equipment needed and can be performed by people of all abilities.
If performed correctly and regularly crunches can help to improve your balance.
Muscle Groups Worked:
Crunches are primarily a core strengthening exercise which works the pectorals major, rectus abdominals, external obliques, internal obliques and transverse abdominals.
If you suffer from any back pain it may be advisable to perform the crunch on a gym ball:
- Sit on the ball and roll your torso down so that you are lay on your back with your shoulder blades down to your tailbone should be on the curve of the ball while your head, neck and shoulders are above the ball.
- Knees are bent and feet flat on the floor at hip width apart
- Perform the same abdominal curling movement as instructed above
- Move slowly and keep the core muscles engaged so that you feel grounded on the gym ball and do not roll off it
Step by Step Guide:
- Lie flat on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor, hip width apart
- Place your hands slightly either side of your head, do not lock your fingers or pull the head up
- Push the small of your back into the floor to engage the abdominals
- Tilt your chin slightly, leaving a few inches space between chin and chest
- Begin to roll your shoulders off the floor
- Your shoulders should leave the floor by about 4 inches and your lower back should always remain on the floor
- Hold for a moment at the top then slowly move back down
Ready To Take One Of Our Challenges?
Click here for the 30 Day Crunch Challenge
Or click here for the 30 Day Ab & Squat Challenge
Maybe take up our 30 Day Ab Challenge
For the ultimate challenge containing crunches take up our 30 Day Beach Body Challenge